Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My First Job

They (those mysterious upperclassmen) always said that everyone at Swat does everything. I'm sure this doesn't work out (on many levels, but most prominently, mathematically), but I'm starting to see the truth in it.

In addition to swimming and writing for the Phoenix, I've now added a job. I work at the Lang Performing Arts Center, or LPAC for ease of speech. Today I went in for the first time.

I spent the majority of two hours sitting on the floor with a girl who graduated from an arts school in 2007 crimping slings. Before that session, I hadn't even known what crimping slings meant. But now I'm familiar with the intricate, repetitive process. I'm also more familiar with this girl, Emily, who was hired for a technical theater job this week at Swarthmore. 

Yeah, it takes up time that I could be using to do work. But at the same time, I loved being able work with my hands rather than my mind. 

No comments: